Because of the normal grind of any given week, an EDGE group must be “remade” each week. You have to get back that “loving feeling” for each other that the hustle and bustle of the past seven days has rendered all but “Gone, gone, gone, whoa-o-o-ooh.” To do this, there has to be a reconnection of some kind, a sort of small group relationship catalyst if you will. It requires some “I’m here–you’re there” time at the beginning. For this we use icebreakers.
So, I’ve got ICE BREAKER for next week. Now what?
Is it appropriate?
If an icebreaker is too childish, some people will feel uncomfortable. If it is too revealing, some people will draw back. Some ice breakers are better for when the group hardly knows each other and others are better when everyone in the group can name their favorite birthmark on the person to their left. Basically, experiment and avoid extremes.
Was it used last week?
Some icebreakers can be used over and over like “What was the most important thing that happened to you this week?” or “What do you see when you look at the coffee stain on the carpet in the middle of my dorm room?”, but in general, it’s good to mix things up every once in a while.
Can everyone share?
If your icebreaker is a question, it’s always good to pick one that everyone in the circle can answer in the allotted time. If the question is “What is your life story?” the shy guy gets left out. Answering your own icebreaker question first is a good way to model taking only 30 seconds to a minute to answer. If you find yourself in a group with a “Chatty Cathy”, do be graceful and assertive in moving the icebreaker on to the next person. Do not try to “pass the hint” passive aggressively by looking at your watch or rolling your eyes.
It is not unusual for someone to signal they have a real hurt or problem during the ice breaker. “I heard this week that my mother has cancer.” Obviously you must return to minister to this need, but do not stop the circle of sharing. Assure the person (“We’ve got to come back to you and share more about that, Jane. Thanks for telling us.”) and then continue. This gives Jane a chance to form her comments, which otherwise may “spill out” beyond what she feels comfortable sharing with the group. This also gives those close to Jane the freedom to pursue the issue with Jane in a more safe or private environment later that night or week.
103 Solid Ice Breaker Questions
1. What was the happiest moment of your life?
2. Tell us about your first date?
3. What is the greatest regret of your life?
4. The hardest thing I have ever done…
5. The greatest compliment I ever received.
6. Let me tell you about my best earthly friend…
7. What room in your house do you like best?
8. What is the one thing you want to accomplish next week?
9. Where did you feel warmest and safest as a child?
10. If you had a time machine that would work only once, what point in the future or in history would you visit?
11. When was the last time you did something for the first time?
12. Which of the following restrictions could you best tolerate:
leaving the country permanently, or never leaving the state in
which you now live?
13. At a meal, your friends start belittling a common friend. What do you do?
14. If you could take a pill that would enable you to live until you reach 1000 years, would you do it? Why?
15. When you do something stupid, how much does it bother you to have other people notice it and laugh?
16. Would you like to know the exact date of your death?
17. If you could change two things about the way you were raised, what would they be? If you came from a divorced family, how did it affect you?
18. Who is your favorite relative? Why?
19. What is your favorite memory time spent, as a child, with your father? Your mother?
20. Who did God use to bring you to the point where you knew you needed Jesus?
21. If you could change places with a Bible character, who would you choose? Why?
22. What is your favorite book of the Bible? Why?
23. If you could go anywhere in the world, where would you go?
24. What is your favorite movie or TV show?
25. Who has had the greatest influence on your life since we last gathered?
26. What was the best thing that happened to you this past week?
27. Recall a time when you failed recently
28. Name someone you admire who had to overcome great obstacles to get where they are now.
29. What do you value most in a human relationship? In your relationship with Christ? Your parents?
30. How do you react when you aren’t thanked for going out of your way for someone?
31. What is your favorite time of day?
32. Singles: The girl/boy I want to marry. Couples: What caused me to marry my spouse.
33. My greatest disappointment…
34. The gift I will never forget (apart from my conversion)…
35. What was the most important event in your life this past week?
36. If you could chose to go anywhere in the world for 3 days, where would you go, and why?
37. If you could chose to meet anyone who ever lived in America, who would that be, and why would you like to meet him/her?
38. If you could choose to live anywhere in the world, where would you live, and why?
39. What gift (spiritual, emotional, mental, etc.) do you believe you are bringing to this meeting? (In other words, what do you think you are bringing that will-or may-contribute to the encouragement of others- or the building-up of the “church”?)
40. Describe a significant experience in your life that changed your value system completely.
41. What are some of your goals for the year ahead?
42. Who are your parents, what did they do and what would you like to change about them?
43. If I could choose my career over again I would …
44. What is your position in your family – first second etc. What would you have liked to swop about this position?
45. If you became the leader of any country in the world, which would it be and why?
46. Share the best and worst experience of your week
47. If you could take a free 2 week trip to any place in the world where would it be and why?
48. If you could talk to any one person now living, who would it be and why?
49. Give every one a piece of paper and ask them to draw a picture of their jobs or whatever they do on a daily basis. Explain your sketches.
50. Ask each person to say why they are glad to be a cell group tonight.
51. Briefly describe some strong and some weak points in your relationship with your eldest child or your parents-in-law or your husband.
52. Inform everyone that they have just been given $1 000 000. Let each share how they would use their newly gained fortune.
53. Do you have a nickname and if so what is it? What nicknames do you have for your husband and children?
54. Is there an era in time that you would have liked to have lived in, if so, why?
55. Has the cell group been a help to you? Spend time talking about it and thanking each other.
56. Tell the cell group 3 things you appreciate about your family and 3 ways in which you find them difficult at times.
57. What is the best thing that has ever happened in my family? …my cell group? …the world?
58. One thing I would really like see happen at the moment in my family? … my church? … my cell group? … the world?
59. Who is the best friend you have at this point in your life?
60. Have you had an answered prayer recently – share the story
61. What is your occupation? What do you enjoy about it?
62. Who has been the greatest influence on your Christian life and why?
63. What book, movie, video have you seen/read and why would you recommend it?
64. What do you think delights God above everything else in your life?
65. What is the most encouraging thing said to you this week?
66. What encouraging action have you done to someone this week?
67. What made you decide to attend this church.
68. What made you decide to live in …<insert your city>?
69. What do you still want to accomplish with your life?
70. What is your most embarrassing experience?
71. For what are you thankful?
72. What is the most memorable event of your life and why?
73. Share the most meaningful scripture to you and why is it so meaningful?
74. How did you and your partner meet and what made to start going out together or what kind of person would you like to have as your partner?
75. How would your life be different if you knew Jesus was returning on 12/15/06
76. Who is the most interesting person you have met?
77. Talk about your favourite holiday spot and why you enjoy it there?
78. Share about a spiritual experience you have had…
79. What annoys you about your spouse/friend?
80. Have you ever experienced healing in your body – share
81. How do you relax?
82. What is your favourite type of music / song etc?
83. What has happened to you during this week which you would like to tell the rest of the group.
84. The last time I got really angry was ………….
85. If you could not fail, what would you like to do?
86. If you had to live your life over what would you change?
87. What do you want written on your tombstone?
88. What do you want said at your funeral?
89. What don’t you want said at your funeral?
90. If you were to go and live on the moon and could carry only one thing, what would it be?
91. What would you do if you were to see …
- a person being robbed
- a person drowning
- a house on fire
92. One thing which has stressed me out this week …..
93. One thing which makes me feel guilty ……..
94. One thing which I do not understand about the opposite sex is ___________.
95. If you had this week / … over again what would you do differently?
96. Describe another small group that you were a member of outside of your church, and tell us why you thought the group worked (or didn’t work). You’re not limited to “religious” groups (most of us meet in small groups at work).
97. What is the most memorable Bible you have received (ie from a gift, Baptism, wedding, conversion, etc.)? Tell us about why it’s meaningful to you.
98. What is the first thing that comes to mind when you think about God?
99. What are the biggest questions that you have about your relationship with God?
100.Under what circumstances do you feel most lonely? Least lonely? Why?
101.In what areas of your life is it most difficult to trust God? Other people? Yourself?
102.Why do you get up in the morning?
103.When was the last time you admitted you were wrong? Why is it so hard to do?